SRJC aspires to be an inclusive, diverse and sustainable learning community that engages the whole person.
SRJC passionately cultivates learning through the creative, intellectual, physical, social, emotional, aesthetic and ethical development of our diverse community.
- We focus on student learning by preparing students for transfer; by providing responsive career and technical education; and by improving students’ foundational skills.
- We provide a comprehensive range of student development programs and services that support student success and enrich student lives.
- We support the economic vitality, social equity and environmental stewardship of our region.
- We promote personal and professional growth and cultivate joy at work and in lifelong learning.
- We foster critical and reflective civic engagement and thoughtful participation in diverse local and global communities.
- We regularly assess, self-reflect, adapt, and continuously improve.
We balance and integrate the following core values in assuring the success of our diverse learning communities.
1. We value Learning that includes
- Excellent and innovative instruction and support services;
- A learning- and learner-centered environment;
- A welcoming physical environment;
- A caring and supportive attitude among faculty and staff;
- Access to programs and courses that lead to transfer and/or gainful employment.
2. We value Academic Excellence that includes
- Academic freedom balanced with academic responsibility, integrity and ethical behavior;
- Effective and transparent communication with information being shared in a timely fashion;
- Collaboration in continuous quality improvement of SRJC’s programs and services.
3. We value Sustainability that includes
- The teaching of sustainability principles and concepts;
- Research on sustainable development projects/ issues;
- Incorporating ecological values and practices in the District’s operations;
- Support and promotion of sustainability efforts in our community;
- Fiscal solvency and stability.
4. We value Diversity that supports
- Equal access for all students;
- Multi-ethnic global perspectives and cultural competencies;
- Employees who reflect the communities we serve;
- Honesty and integrity in an environment of collegiality and mutual respect.
5. We value Community that includes
- Community partnerships and advocacy for workforce and economic development;
- Cultural enrichment opportunities;
- Lifelong learning.
6. We value Beauty that includes
- Well maintained and aesthetically pleasing facilities and grounds;
- Holistic wellness;
- Joy in learning and work.
7. We value Compassion that includes
- Helping students develop a vision for their lives;
- Civic engagement opportunities that contribute to real world problem solving;
- Empathy to identify the challenges and address the needs of others;
- Collaborative leadership.
8. We value Innovation that includes
- Creativity, openness and risk taking;
- Multiple perspectives;
- Response to demographic, global, and technological changes.
Policy 1.1, October 8, 2013